Saturday, July 24, 2010

Inception, Predators, and...PONYO!!!

Ok, I'm confused. I saw Inception less than a week ago, and I'm not sure what everyone is all "mind-blown" about. It was good! Don't get me wrong, but it was not super. I liked the concept of dream theives and such, but I can't say that my life was changed. Did I miss something? Oh, and the ending? Not necessary at all. It felt a little tacked on and was not needed. Shutter Island did it better! But I suppose they arent similar movies. I enjoyed Inception but I can't say it was horribly brilliant. I give it a 3 out of 5.

                                                       Inception Trailer
                       Video obtained from: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPH2T9o_Dz8

Predators was a fun film to watch. While not on par with the original, who cares? Movies like this aren't supposed to have a deep plot! Characters are cardboard cut outs and are fairly boring, but I didn't go to the movie for deep thinking either. I went to see things blow up. And I was pleased with what I saw! Explosions were sharp and the action was very nicely paced. Predators are supposed to be cool, and they are! I give this movie a 3.5 out of 5.


                                                    Predators Trailer 

                       Video obtained from: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9u8vZwvP57Y

 Also I have now seen Ponyo. It was so good! It is inspiring to see animation that doesn't suck and can tell a wonderful story. There were some spots that it was wonderfully weird, but that made it all the more enjoyable. It was a fun film, alhtough in some spots it felt a tad slow. But speed aside I would recommend this to anyone who has some time to kill. If you don't have time to kill, then make it! This is a must see film. I give it a 4 out of 5. This weekend, instead of going to see Inception or Predators, rent Ponyo.

The trailer wont upload :(                                                          

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, the awesomeness of Inception didn't overwhelm me, and the more I reflected on it, the less whelming occurred.

    The idea of being able to control and manipulate the world of dreams was pretty cool. I saw Paris explode and fold in one itself and thought, "Wow, this could have some cool stuff in it." But then nothing that cool ever happened again. In a world where a young woman can fold Paris on her first trip, it's still necessary to use explosives and skis to pull off the great heist?!?!

    And the "ambiguous" ending was just cheap-- a way to avoid a too-cheery resolution and nothing more.

    It tried hard to be deep and heavy and portentous (boy, did Hans Zimmer ever have to do some heavy lifting) but in the end it just felt kind of James Bondy with angst.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you agree! And I agree with your point about the whole city folding incident. That was the only point in the movie that really dealt with the whole "dreamworld and its reality" concept. I was disappointed that the only other thing that happened like that was floating in the air in the hotel while the car was falling. No gravity isn't exactly a new concept...

    ReplyDelete